Thursday, August 6, 2015

People are terrible.

So I know it's been close to a year since I've posted anything. And I know probably nobody reads this any more. But that's perfect. There's something I need to put out into the universe, however, I don't want it to be as public as say a Facebook post. And I don't particularly want to just email my friends, because they are in no way past of the problem, and I don't wish to just complain to them.

As a select few people know, we're interested in adoption. As even fewer people know, we're taking steps to educate ourselves and become registered as adoptive parents. I haven't told many people mostly for one reason.

The stare. The look people give you when you mention adopting. Where you can see then mentally cycling through options: why would they do this? Does she have fertility issues? This seems so outlandish. Why doesn't she want to be a mother? Millions of other uncharitable thoughts.

Finally they settle on a "that seems nice" or a "you have to do what you think is right." All without enthusiasm. All with the undertone of disgust and confusion.

Why can't you be happy for me? Why can't you appreciate the millions of children that would give anything just to have loving parents? A home?  If we're able and willing to provide that home, is that not enough of a reason?

I don't know. Honestly, at this rate, I think we just won't tell anyone until one day we show up with a five year old in tow.


No comments:

Post a Comment